Many thanks to Peter Shankman for inspiring this post (see his Things I’d Like to See Happen in 2012). Here's a list of things I’m wishing 2012 will deliver.
- May 2012 be the year we embrace social media for sharing - not endless self-promotion. I’m bored with hearing how busy and wonderful we all are. Aren’t we boring ourselves too? We can learn so much more from what didn’t go perfectly and how we adapted, improvised & overcame.
- May 2012 be the year that Inside Sales Reps embrace the fact that they are “the new black” and show us what they can really do. Dazzle us – you have the skills, the knowledge and the support!!
- May 2012 be the year of the least amount of public information about any of the Kardashians. (Copied verbatim from Peter’s list – because it’s my wish too.)
- May 2012 be the year I figure out how to keep my business partner, Laurie Page, off a plane. If I don’t she is going to kill me…I know she is. Goodbye cruel world.
- May 2012 be the year that Executives realize that to get the most out of your sales team you need to invest in them. That means training, tools, technology … and, oh yeah, you might want to pay attention to them once in awhile. (PS – forecast reviews don’t count. That’s torture – not mentoring.)
- May 2012 be the year that people figure out that the idiom is “fleshed out” not “flushed out”. The latter is the result of an acai berry cleanse – the former means to make more substantial.
- May 2012 be the year my retirement portfolio actually grows. If not I see handing out smiley faces at the door of Walmart in my future.
- May 2012 be the year my son doesn’t make me feel like Scrooge because he is so good about philanthropy and I need an occasional prod. It feels so good to give – why isn’t it always front of mind?
- May 2012 be the year that airlines get the basics right (no tarmacs detentions, no lousy customer service). Hello United Airlines, if I book United I should be able to use United miles even if you are using a US Air plane. Don’t confuse your issues with ours.
- May 2012 be the year we stop hanging 2.0 off the back end of everything we do. The Internet Explorer 7.0 mindset doesn’t jive with a Chrome world.
- May 2012 be the year that publishers understand sharing their books is a good thing. I’d happily pay a premium for the privilege.
- May 2012 be the year I actually find the time to launch Inside Sales for Good. I bought the domain now I just need to build the program and get it going. Going to be teaching inside sales teams how to run events to support local charities.
Happy New Year and many thanks for listening. And another thank you to @petershankman for inspiring this post.
What would you like to see happen in 2012?
(Photo credit: ferlomu)