Objection handling is embedded in the natural flow of every sales process. How we think about objections can tell the tale about our ability to move the sales process forward.
Most salespeople view objections negatively. They believe that the prospect is looking for excuses. In reality, objections are a positive! They show that the prospect is engaged with you, is thinking about how your product or solution can assist them and is trying to work through what appears to one or several stumbling blocks.
So, how do we prepare our teams to handle objections more effectively? Spend a little time on the following and you will be well on your way!
- Arrange a meeting or conference call with your reps to discuss this one issue alone.
- Ask each rep to come prepared with the top 3 objections they hear.
- Discuss the various objections and select the top 3 or 4 that are the most common and crucial.
- Assign the reps homework. Have them create a response to each objection that is short, succinct and powerful.
- Select a "winning" response to each objection and create an Objection Handling worksheet.
- Role play with your reps. This will ensure that they can deliver the responses in a comfortable and natural manner.
- Review quarterly to make sure the objections and responses continue to be relevant.
Don't take it for granted that your sales team is good at handling objections. Make an investment in defining, documenting and communicating best practices and you will reap the rewards!
If you have responses to common objections that you would like to share...please post a comment...thank you!